CA Low Cost Plan
Coverage & Eligibility
Coverages. Liability limits of $10,000 bodily injury or death per person, $20,000 bodily injury for each accident and $3,000 property damage for each accident. These limits will satisfy the state’s current financial responsibility laws. Optional coverages consist of Medical Payments Coverage at $1,000 per person and Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury at limits of $10,000/$20,000. Physical Damage (Comprehensive & Collision) coverage IS NOT available under this Program.
Good Driver Requirements. Only good drivers (as described in the CA Insurance code) are eligible for this program. The good driver requirements apply to both the applicant and any licensed driver in their household.
- Must be at least 19 years of age and has been continuously licensed to drive for the past 3 years.*
- Have no Vehicle Code felony or misdemeanor convictions on their driving record.
- Have no at fault accidents involving bodily injury or death in the past 3 years.
- Have not had more than one, or both, of the following in the past 3 years:
- A property damage only accident in which they were principally at fault, or
- A point for a moving violation.
- Cannot be a college student claimed as dependent for federal/state income tax purposes.
* Individuals who were previously licensed in another country other than the U.S. or Canada and can demonstrate that they have been continuously licensed for 18 months in the U.S. or Canada, are also eligible.
The cost of this insurance is based on the applicant’s county of residence.